Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Just Back from Qatar

I had to fly to Doha, Qatar for a short business trip, and while I don't enjoy the travel very much (had to wake before 5 am to catch the plane), it was nice to see different scenery. A part of the different scenery was nearly missing the plane because a huge convoy of over 100 US military (Army) vehicles was passing from the port to the bases, and of course the domestic civilian traffic has to be held until all the troops has passed.

I have never in my life seen anything like this, that must have been a full battalion with their complete gear, Tanks, APCs, Bradley fighting vehicles, supply trucks, C&C Humvees, the whole load, I was tempted to take pictures but did not want to risk arrest. It was obvious that these troops have just arrived from the US or Europe, looking fresh and the armor was all new and shiny.

A lot of things happened while I was away, the UAE market fast-forwarded its meltdown (ouch!), the Israeli election campaign started with a show of force and Palestinian blood being spilled (and further humiliation to the Palestinian Authority), the death of the Tyrant of Belgrade, and several other things worthy of notice. I promise to provide my usual irritating commentary of those items once I recover a bit.

It feels good to be back (home).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home